As a new and expecting parent you will have to make some decisions, and just like obtaining your drivers license, you have a responsibility to know the rules of the road.
ALONE- your baby should always sleep alone but in the same room as the parents.
BACK- your baby should always be on their back, on a firm mattress with tight fitted sheets. Never use extra paddings, blankets or pillows under your baby.
CRIB- your baby should always sleep in a crib or sleep approved space by using a crib or bassinet that meets current safety standards. Avoid using sleep positioning devices because there is not enough supporting evidence that they are effective and in some cases can pose a danger.
- NEST Provence Collection- comes in 3 finishes, made in Canada and is 100% Solid Wood (European Beech.) This set converts into a daybed, toddler bed, double bed or double bed headboard. Made with reinforced cross bar underneath large drawer bottoms, and if you buy the entire set- it comes with slow motion, self closing, anti pinch drawers glides with safety locks and lifetime warranty. Available at Posh Baby and Teen Furniture- contact for special pricing.
- Babyletto Modo 3 in 1 Convertible Crib- sleek and sophisticated, 4 adjustable mattress heights, this crib converts into a toddler bed and daybed. Made with pine wood construction to help keep your baby safe during a comfy slumber, available here at BuyBuyBaby. Interested in the set? With a changing table on top and a dresser just below, the Modo 3 Drawer Changer Dresser from Babyletto is a space saving nursery necessity. Smart and stylish with a sleek design that provides ample drawer storage space, also available at BuyBuyBaby.
- Graco Dream Suite Bassinet- Dream suite is a reversible bassinet, changer and complete beside care center, all in one! The cozy bassinet soothes baby with 2-speed vibration, allows air flow and visibility with mesh sides, blocks light with the canopy, and entertains with soft toys. The changer features easy to wipe clean fabric and can be used up to 30lbs. Its material is metal and plastic and folds for easy transport and storage. The awesome part, four locking wheels for easy maneuverability throughout your home. Add this to your baby registry here at Target.com.
- Arm’s Reach Co Sleeper- Ideal for infants up to five months in age or when child begins to push up on hands and knees, which ever occurs first, you would have to move your child to another sleeping product when your child reaches this stage. All the ideal Co-Sleeper bassinets include everything you need to get started- a sheet, a mattress, a nylon attachment strap and plate, fabric liner with attachment bar and hanger set. Find out more at Amazon.com
- Bed-sharing- Face it, some families do not have the space or resources for a crib however there are other alternatives to raise your family, and even more for those who practice attachment parenting and breastfeeding bed-sharing maybe your only or preferred option. Do your research on products and follow the manufacturers directions if you will be using any products intended for your infant to sleep in the same bed as you. More importantly be sure that you are following safe bed sharing practices that can reduce the risks of SIDS. Find out more about the risks and benefits of bed-sharing.
Because of the risks involved, both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission advise against bedsharing. The AAP does recommend the practice of room-sharing with-out bedsharing.